The Stop Bullying Louisiana Coalition is against the “License to Bully Bill.” Click here to tell Senator Rick Ward and the Senate Education Committee that you do NOT support SB 709!
Why is SB 709 a BAD BILL?
1. Doesn’t include an enumerated list of characteristics, which has been shown to decrease absenteeism and increase student safety and teacher intervention.
2. Includes religious, philosophical and political exemptions for bullying activities in general
3. Too restrictive of a definition of bullying
4. Gives school administrators the ability to ignore repeated offenses of bullying in favor of moving bullied victims to other public schools.
5. Requires a presence of repeative actions and patterns of bullying, therefore ignoring the isolated, yet severe cases of bullying
6. No inference to emotional bullying
7. Confidentiality issues of the students’ identity being preserved by reporting to the Department of Education